Saturday, October 29, 2011

Washington State Initiative 1183, My Thoughts

After initially signing this initiative, which was written & sponsored by Costco, I began to have second doubts when I began hearing that micro-distilleries in Washington are generally against it.

Check out Dry Fly's thoughts here

It seems that if this bill passes, it may harm the micro-distillery industry here.  And, that is the opposite of why I signed this in the first place.  So, I'm voting against it.

So, if anyone who works for the WA state liquor stores is listening, here is what I as a consumer am looking for in your service:

1)  Better Selection
I'm a Scotch collector.  The Scotch selection in Washington is limited compared to other states and provinces, such as BC, Oregon & California.  I should not be required to order an entire case if I wish to place a special order.  I can barely afford one bottle, let alone a whole case of collector level Scotch.  Perhaps you can create an online order for people who want to place special orders & show how much of the case is already claimed by other people.  Once all the bottles are claimed, then order is fulfilled.

2) Better Hours
I see you are already beginning to work on this.
Right now your hours are:
Monday – Thursday: 10:00 a.m. – 9:00 p.m.
Friday – Saturday: 10:00 a.m. – 10:00 p.m.
Sunday: 12:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m. (58 state stores open on Sunday)

Please increase the number of stores open on Sunday & keep the stores open until 11 on Fri & Sat.

That's pretty much it for me.  However, other people feel pretty strongly about these


3) Lower prices
I'm fine with your prices, but when I'm out of state, I'm tempted to get liquor that I can't find at all here for cheaper than most of what is available.

4) The ability to legally order spirits on-line from out of state or country sources
You have a monopoly.  I wouldn't mind if you had good selection.  Either break your monopoly & enable us to order from other sources, or increase your selection.

Your West Seattle store & the private charter stores such as Clearview Spirits & Wines are a great start.

Let's keep with these improvements, and then maybe the voters won't get fed up and go for the next corporate sponsored ballot measure.


Sláinte,
Troy McFarland

No comments:

Post a Comment